Larry Dunn Anthology of Earth Wind & Fire to kick off 21st Annual Sedona International Film Festival, Feb. 20
Concert at Sedona Performing Arts Center
SEDONA, Ariz. (Feb. 4, 2015): The 21st annual Sedona International Film Festival is kicking off the weeklong schedule of 160 films, workshops, panels and events with The Larry Dunn Anthology of Earth Wind & Fire, 12 musicians and singers and one magical night of music on Friday, Feb. 20 at 7 p.m. at the Sedona Performing Arts Center.
Former keyboard mastermind for Earth Wind & Fire (EW&F), Dunn wrote, produced and arranged many of the band’s legendary hits from 1972 to 1983. Last year, he performed, produced and arranged three songs on Earth Wind & Fire’s latest album, “Now, Then & Forever”.
Dunn helped transform EW&F into one of the all-time most successful R&B/funk/soul bands in the world, with sales of more than 100 million albums, six Grammys, 13 Grammy nominations, four American Music Awards, 32 Gold and Platinum/Multi-Platinum records, a star on Hollywood’s Walk of Fame, induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2000 and the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2010 as well as many other industry awards.
In addition to playing keyboards, organ, synthesizer, piano, clavinet, kalimba and about anything else sitting around, Dunn held the position as EW&F’s longtime musical director. In addition, he rehearsed Earth Wind & Fire for live stage performances and wrote many of the musical segues and medleys. His creative influence can be felt in such classics as “Shining Star,” “Spirit,” “Be Ever Wonderful,” “Runnin’,” “See The Light,” “Let Me Talk,” “And Love Goes On,” “Jupiter,” as well as other melodies that will live on in the hearts of fans and popular music lovers alike. As one of the key people behind the scenes, much of the group’s musical success can be attributed to him.
Continuing in that vein of musical style and artistic nuance, Dunn has brought together some of the world’s greatest musical talents to recreate the Larry Dunn Anthology of Earth Wind & Fire:
- Luisa Dunn, vocals, who has composed, produced, performed and recorded with Hubert Laws, Ramsey Lewis, Ronnie Laws, Keiko Matsui, the Phenix Horns, Drupi, Foley, Mariah Carey, Boys To Men, James Ingram, Alicia Keys, Beyonce and Pharrell.
- Steve Baxter,trombone, who has worked with Justin Timberlake, Joss Stone and Stevie Wonder.
- Procton Bonell, vocals, who has worked with Kool and the Gang.
- Bill Churchville, lead trumpet, spent six years with Tower of Power, and has multiple movie and television credits, including the Arsenio Hall show.
- George Geo Evans, guitar, who has worked with Michael Jackson, Busboys and Brian Culbertson.
- Ty Fleming, drums, who has worked with Stevie Wonder, Bobby Brown and El DeBarge.
- Michale Hunter, trumpet, who has worked with James Brown, Lenny Kravitz and Boz Scaggs.
- Jarrett Johnson,vocals, who has worked with Michael Bublé.
- Keith McKelley, saxophone, who has worked with Bob James of Fourplay, Mary J. Blige and Usher.
- Leslie Smith,vocals and percussion, who has worked with Phil Collins, Kenny G, Lionel Richie, Rickie Lee Jones, Robbie Dupree, Joe Cocker, Randy Newman, Keiko Matsui, Eric Burdon, Kelly Clarkson and Everlast.
- Hilliard Wilson, bass, who has worked with Jay King, Brenda Russell and Phil Perry, and composed with the Manhattans, Prince and Bobby Womack.
Dunn’s unique rhythmic style, combined with artistic composing and arranging talent, meld into a legendary performance with music’s greatest talents. The set list includes favorite and memorable hits and — maybe something we have not yet heard.
The Larry Dunn Anthology of Earth Wind & Fire concert event will take place at the Sedona Performing Arts Center (995 Upper Red Rock Loop Road) on Friday, Feb. 20 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $30, or $25 for Film Festival members. For tickets and more information, please call 928-282-1177 or visit: www.SedonaFilmFestival.org.
Steve Carr, The Kur Carr Group, Inc., 602.317-3040